Monday, October 15, 2007

Watterson on Schulz

Bill Watterson reviews David Michaelis' controversial new book, Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography [excerpt] in the Wall Street Journal. Yes, that Bill Waterson.

My brain just exploded.
The wonder of "Peanuts" is that it worked on so many levels simultaneously. Children could enjoy the silly drawings and the delightful fantasy of Snoopy, while adults could see the bleak undercurrent of cruelty, loneliness and failure, or the perpetual theme of unrequited love, or the strip's stark visual beauty.

1 comment:

asdf said...

In this article I thought that Bill Watterson was going to explain his personal relationship with Charles Schulz. I was very surprised at the fact that he had never met Charles Schulz.

I personally am conflicted as to whether or not I should read this book after reading the articles that showed up in the google query. I guess I'll wait for the amazon reviews and blog posts and let it all play out.